Follow by Email

Sunday, 15 February 2015

So I went outside…

So I managed it. After much encouragement, a bit of bullying and some blackmail, I managed to leave my house for the first time in about six months. Unfortunately it was not for anything exciting, it was just for my six monthly review with my neurologist. (Thrilling, I know) but seriously my neurologist Mr May is such a nice guy, it was worth the effort.And a lot of effort it was.
It was quite surprising after not leaving my bungalow in such a long time, how scary it was and also how much work it was. I have to prepare the night before by taking a diazepam before a go to sleep and taking another one in the morning, to help with my anxiety. Even now I have taken the medication I still feel really panicky with lots of scenarios running through my head. I am also nervous about the inevitable pain that I will have to go through. I am such a big wuss with pain. These days, and struggle to cope with little things such as being hoisted and sitting in a chair. Although weirdly, I am completely fine with having my legs waxed! I will fast forward a bit, because I know I am being incredibly boring and also you do not need to know all the details of personal care, etc
Luckily the hospital is only five minutes down the road in a taxi. The main thing I dislike about taxis is the access ramp for wheelchairs as somebody has to push me up this and I feel like I am a really heavy blob (think Jabba the Hutt with pigs tails) once in the taxi. I need to make sure my carer is holding my chair, steady and the cabbie drives carefully otherwise I am at risk of falling not so gracefully arse over tit out of my wheelchair which tends to leave me rather pissed off. Luckily this did not happen because my carer was awesome.
Even though I was late to my appointment I did not have to wait long to see my consultant. He said he was really proud of me for making the effort to attend the appointment because he knows how difficult it is for me to get out and about. Sounds patronising but it really wasn't. The appointment went well and I don't need to see him for another year. As usual, I forgot to ask some of the questions I had. One of them was extremely important, as I am sure some of you will know. I wanted to ask if I would be able to have normal coffee again as I have been stuck with decaf for months and as everyone is aware that not even coffee, it is just bleh!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,

    What's happening with you...Did you end up back in physiotherapy? The whole mess sounds lousy...I noticed a friend recommended you see a solicitor? You can find me at